News: Local Hero Field Wins Ladies’ Matchplay
By Patrick Hulbert on 24 January 2013, 15:06
England’s Rebecca Field won the Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines Ladies’ Matchplay singles at Potters Leisure Resort for the first time.
She had a sensational start to the game, going 8-0 up after just four ends of the opening set. However, the Guernsey star hit back in the set, but a superb drive from Field on the last end saw her take the set, 11-7.
Merrien looked on course to win the second set comfortably, taking a 9-3 lead after eight ends, but a lapse ninth end saw Field claim a full house of four to take the deficit down to two with two ends left. However, Merrien managed to stave off Field’s attack to get it to a tie-break, 10-8.
In the first end of the tie-break, Field took the initiative, bit a stupendous drive from Merrien left the end down to a one bowl singles bout, with Field drawing jack high, 15 inches tight. Merrien drew the perfect line and 10 inches behind the jack, thus winning the opening end.
In the second end, Field drew shot with her third bowl, which Merrien removed, but took her own bowl with it, 1-1.
In the final tie-break end, a nervy exchange saw Field draw a foot heavy with her second bowl, and this was never beaten and so the championship went to the Norfolk ace.
- Celebrities, Commonwealth Games and so much more...
25 October 2013
- BI Deliver Time and Time Again
18 September 2013
- Commonwealth Sport England Inject 180,000 into Lawn Bowls 15 Nov 2013
- Landmark Number Achieved by BDA 1 Nov 2013
- Elite Squad Trimmed 25 Oct 2013
- England Under 18 Teams Bring Back the Bacon 14 Oct 2013
- Question Time 5 Jun 2013
- Laws – Which Ones are we Using? 5 Jun 2013
- The Numbers Game 5 Jun 2013
- What is a 'Team' 27 Feb 2013
- Doing the Card 27 Feb 2013
- Maxi Pro Drakes Pride Bag 19 Oct 2012
- Thomas Taylor International 18 Oct 2012
- Clubhawk Gold Measure 26 Sep 2011
- Drakes Pride Bowls 21 Sep 2011